Far from the media spotlight, pulled from the “X-Files” of the Internet, are some of the more interesting and conspiratorial narratives on what — or who — triggered BP’s oil-spill disaster, now unfolding more than 18,000 feet below sea level in the Gulf of Mexico.
Here's the follow-up, from bnet:
BP and the Obama administration have further restricted access to affected oil spill zones in the Gulf of Mexico. Weak approval ratings on handling clean-up efforts and media blackouts have only fanned the flames of conspiracy rumors circulating online. At the heart of it all is the burning question: Was the Deepwater Horizon explosion really an accident?Of course it was. But that’s not slowing down the conspiratorialists.
In addition to no-fly zones over oil spill waters, reporting on recovery efforts in the Gulf just got more challenging. On July 1, a new Coast Guard order went into effect, stating: “vessels must not come within 20 meters [65 feet] of booming operations, boom, or oil spill response operations under penalty of law.” Violation of a “safety zone” could result in up to a $40,000 civil violation and prosecution for a Class D felony (sentencing from 2-7 years, depending on the state).
As Natural News editor Mike Adams puts it:
With this, the Gulf Coast cleanup operation has now entered a weird Orwellian reality where the news is shaped, censored and controlled by the government in order to prevent the public from learning the truth about what’s really happening in the Gulf.Does it require much of a stretch of the imagination to conclude, as does Adams, that the federal government is seeking to control our minds? With more questions than answers on the origins of the spill, many Internet bloggers espouse their own theories on the happenings in the depths of the Outer Continental Shelf.
“They (meaning the Obama administration and an industrial consortium ranging from BP to Goldman Sachs) don’t want to clean it up or even try to contain it,” posits conspiratorialist JoAnneMor on her eponymous blog. What’s happening off the Louisiana coast wasn’t from incompetence, but from a purposeful desire to spark growth in a nascent alt-renewable industry — algae:
The plot doesn’t start and end in Gulf waters. Steps have already been mapped out to convert the Great Lakes and Chesapeake Bay into algae farms, too, alleges JoAnneMor.
- Destroy the offshore oil business in U.S. waters;
- Turn the entire Gulf Coast and Mississippi Delta into a permanent “dead zone” — certain coastal areas already demonstrate seasonal drops in oxygen levels, fueled by nutrient (fertilizer) runoffs into river tributaries. Excessive levels of oil and dispersant (the solvent Corexit) in spill-affected waters are accelerating hypoxia, permanently altering the ecosystem; and,
- With an estimated refining cost of $2 per barrel, turning the Gulf ito a giant algae farm would make for a profitable “green” investment.
A new conspiracy plot being bandied about accuses BP of trying to tap the Earth’s molten core for a novel source of geothermal power, using relief well drilling as cover for its real objective. Although heat from our planet’s magma has been successfully harvested as an energy source, spudding through the outer core alone would require boring equipment capable of drilling to depths of 1,900 to 3,100 miles. As if hitting an oil reservoir located just three miles below the sea floor weren’t already cause for concern!
Allgae and lava farms — not all conspiracies theories making the rounds online ascribe the spill to greed and profit motives.To wit:
- The April 20 explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon rig was fated to happen, according to Numerology disciples: numbers 9 (total of letters in “BP oil spill in Gulf of Mexico” equals 27, or 2 + 7) and 11 (number of workers killed in the fire) are of metaphysical significance. Unfortunately, as I am still stuck in this three-dimensional world, the Procrustean logic behind this or tarot card reading is beyond my intellectual grasp — would ingesting a bit of mind-altering peyote plant or magic (psilocybin) mushrooms would lead me down the path of enlightenment?
- In 2005, armed dolphins, trained by the U.S. Navy to fire upon terrorists trying to infiltrate America via submarine, escaped from offshore pens breached during Hurricane Katrina. Some blogsters are convinced one or two of the marine mammals accidentally fired upon the Transocean-leased drilling rig....MORE