Saturday, May 15, 2021

"A new ‘director’s cut’ of Prince playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps has been released" (at George Harrison's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction)

The mention of "obscure bluegrass-electro-punk band" in the post immediately below reminded me: "Wait, we've got something REALLY good" in the queue.
Although the focus is on Prince (he enters about half-way in) I had forgotten just how pure the vocals by Tom Petty and the fellow from ELO (Jeff Lynne) were that night.
The rest of the band included Steve Winwood (organ); Billy Preston (piano); Jim Capaldi (percussion)....MORE (Quora)

George's son, Dhani Harrison seems pretty happy with his dad's induction.

From Guitar.com:

The performance took place in 2004 at The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

A newly edited version of Prince’s performance of While My Guitar Gently Weeps has been released, offering more details and close-ups than the previous version that had been circulated online. The performance took place at the 2004 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony, and also featured Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood and Dhani Harrison, George Harrison’s son.

The edit arrives thanks to Joel Gallen, the director and producer of the original broadcast from the 2004 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony. Writing underneath the video, Gallen explained: “17 years after this stunning performance by Prince, I finally had the chance to go in and re-edit it slightly – since there were several shots that were bothering me. I got rid of all the dissolves and made them all cuts, and added lots more close-ups of Prince during his solo. I think it’s better now. Let me know what you think. Joel.”...MORE

 From Mr. Gallen's YouTube channel: