From MarketWatch, June 2:
Crypto trading ‘can be exciting but also addictive’, hospital says
Cryptocurrency trading may be dangerously addictive.
That’s according to a Scottish hospital, which announced this week that it had launched a rehabilitation program for people hooked on trading digital currencies like bitcoin BTCUSD, +0.91% and Ether ETHUSD, +0.42%
“Cryptocurrency users can get hooked by the volatile fluctuation of prices online which creates a ‘high’ when they buy or trade a winning currency,” said Castle Craig Hospital in a news release. “This can be exciting but also addictive and, like gambling addiction, can be financially disastrous.”
So how do you know if you are addicted? According to Castle Craig, answering yes to five or more of the following 10 questions indicates a problem:
- Do I spend a lot of time thinking about different types of cryptocurrency?
- Am I spending large amounts on cryptocurrency?
- Have I tried to slow down or completely stop cryptocurrency trading — but not been able to?
- Do I become restless or irritable if I try to cut down my screen time related to cryptocurrency?
- Do I jump on the computer and start trading in cryptocurrency to escape from life’s problems or to try to elevate my mood?
- Do I carry on trading in cryptocurrency after losing money — to try to gain it back?
- Have I ever fibbed to other people about how much time or money I spend trading in cryptocurrency? Have I ever taken money unlawfully to fund my cryptocurrency addiction?
- Has my cryptocurrency trading habit had an effect on my relationships or my job?
- Do I try to get other people to lend me money when I have lost on investment?