Monday, November 7, 2011

Why Hasn't FT Alphaville Quoted Cromwell When Referring to the Italian Crisis?

They are learned bunch who toil in Alphaville and as prone to an editorial cri-de-coeur as anyone, so I'm puzzled that none of their Berlusconi reporting has contained either the August 5, 1650 letter to the synod of the Church of Scotland:
I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken.
Or the April 20, 1653 speech to the Rump Parliament:
(via the Book of Days):
You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!
I have to say I'm beginning to feel that emotional about having to follow every twist and turn of  Mediterranean politics.

The U.S. in an election year is bad but Southern Europe in a crisis is just mind numbingly boring. (fistfights excluded)