Tuesday, March 8, 2022

An Energy Story

Last seen 20/2/2020 or 2/20/2020:

....I on the other hand am not so nice. For example, I laughed out loud when I saw this story in the London Times, January 31:

Two students at St John’s College wrote to Andrew Parker, the principal bursar, this week requesting a meeting to discuss the protesters’ demands, which are that the college “declares a climate emergency and immediately divests from fossil fuels.” They say that the college, the richest in Oxford, has £8 million of its £551 million endowment fund invested in BP and Shell.
Professor Parker responded with a provocative offer. “I am not able to arrange any divestment at short notice,” he wrote. “But I can arrange for the gas central heating in college to be switched off with immediate effect. Please let me know if you support this proposal.”...

Of course this led 14 of Harvard's finest to write an open letter expressing their solidarność with the oppressed Oxford students:
Harvard Faculty Call on Oxford Faculty to Support Student Demands for Divestment

At that I only giggled....

—"Climate activists would be better off buying BP

Now here we are.

Related in ego-self-gratification spirit if not in cause:

Did they spare a thought for the janitors. Waddya think?