Monday, February 3, 2014

HAS NATURAL GAS PULLED BACK TO WHAT IS REAL SUPPORT?

From Inside Futures:
 OBVIOUSLY IF THE NYMEX/GLOBEX NATURAL GAS MARKET HOLDS HERE AND GOES ON TO MAKE NEW HIGHS, THEN IN MY VIEW WE HAVE REAL SUPPORT.

Fundamentally, It's damn cold here in Chicago. I have lived here since January 2005 and this is as cold as I can remember. Not just a sub-zero day here or a sub-zero day there, but sub-zero temperatures for long periods of time. Today for example, the temperature at 5 a. m. central time when I woke up was -11 degrees. Now that is forgetting the "wind-chill" temp or what they call the "feels-like" temp, it's just the temperature. The high for the day today was supposed to be 5 degrees above! They got snow in Atlanta and in Louisiana yesterday for goodness sake!

 In fact in Atlanta, there has been thousands of accidents and children had to spend the night in school because it was too unsafe to drive home. Here in Chicago a few inches of snow or even a foot of snow is no big deal. We have the plows and the salt trucks. Not so much in Atlanta, there are just not prepared for this type of thing. "Why", you ask? Because it DOESNT SNOW IN ATLANTA!! Well it did and it shut down the city.

The "Polar Vortex" and the "Yankee Clipper" are two phrases that if I never hear again in my life I will be just fine. I think records are being broke right and left for low temperatures. In fact, the other day there was a pile up on an interstate I-94 in Indiana of more than thirty vehicles with a large majority of them being semi-trucks. Unfortunately 3 were killed....

Technically, on this MARCH NATURAL GAS FUTUTRES chart I have applied my favorite technical indicators like the 9, 20, and the 50 day SIMPLE MOVING AVERAGE (SMA's), the BOLLINGER BANDS (BB's, light blue shaded area), VOLUME, and CANDLESTICKS (green and red bars where each bar represents a day).

Technically, my favorite indicators show me that the NYMEX NATURAL GAS FUTURES market is in what I refer to as a "SUPER-TREND" up. This begins to occur when the 9 day SIMPLE MOVING AVERAGE (SMA, red line) crosses up and over the 20 day SIMPLE MOVING AVERAGE (SMA, green line) and this happened on January 23rd according to the daily chart below. The next important factor in forming a "SUPER-TREND" up is that both indicators have to point upward on fairly sharp angles and they did almost immediately after the cross. Finally, the market has to trade above the 9 day SMA and then I feel comfortable in calling the market in a "SUPER-TREND" up. All of those items are in place here and who knows how long this trend could stay higher, but my first boss in this business always told me, "the trend is your friend..".

It is also important to note I believe that the market has pulled back well off of the highs for the move. In fact it has pulled back to what I would consider the first area of support, the 9 day SMA (red line). Now if it is real support and the "SUPER-TREND" is to stay in effect then the market should hold here and go on to make new highs. If not, then I look for the market to stay in an upward trend, pull back to the 20 day SMA (green line) and hold there. Stay tuned and let's see how my favorite technical work out.
DAILY MARCH NATURAL GAS FUTURES CHART
 
...MORE