Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Société Générale's Albert Edwards Has Been De-Perched

Noooo....
That was my response some hours ago when this story dropped out of one of the the feed readers.
I'm finally composed enough to link.
Paul Murphy makes a special guest appearance at FT Alphaville with:

Extel shocker: here comes the crash?
Some raw copy from the SocGen perma-bear . . .
Investors often look for quirky contrary indicators to call tops and bottoms in the market. It might be a cover in the financial press calling for the death of the economic cycle — shortly before a recession starts. Or it might be the capitulation or sacking of a long time equity bear, just as the bear market begins. But I present to you today another signal that may mark the top of this extended equity bull market. After 15 consecutive years topping the Extel poll for Global Strategy, my record-breaking run has come to an end.

Once again I would like to thank my long-suffering readers for their support in the annual Extel Survey of analysts (combined with the Institutional Investor survey this year). But this was the year my ‘team' (ie me) was finally knocked off the number 1 spot. Many congratulations to the excellent team at JPMorgan headed by Mislav Matejka.

I think it was Powell's U-turn which cut me off at the knees this year, as the S&P surged to a record high during the voting period. If only the vote had occurred just after this current bond rally (more on that inside) I might have hung on for another year until a full-blown equity market kicked in and the uber-bears were back in fashion! But I'm looking at this in a positive way and trying to maximise the information content because the toppling of this uber-bear from his perch must surely mean the equity bear market has begun....
...MUCH MORE

I think the commenters must be sleepy. No chants of "Paul, Paul, Paul" for Alphaville's founder, not even the enthusiasm that greeted Neil Hume when he made an appearance at Markets Live back in November 2017:

BE This is Markets Live, FT Alphaville's daily thing with the typing and etc.

BE And good news! I'm not solo today.


BE Because joining me is Neil Hume.

NH Hola

BE Neil's FT's commodities editor these days. Though you'll probably know him better as founding member of the AV team and the editor for two years through the sov debt crisis.
erlkin  neil hume rocks
  AAAA  bonjour les amis !
                               Boncoeur  crikey, Neil Hume is in da house!

NH Mining and Commodities - they gave me more work to do

BE Yes, that. And, unusually, it appears the system works. Good to have you with us Neil.

NH It's been a while


NH I think I remember how everything works

GBKrona Hola - welcome back @NH

So I ask, where's the love for Mr. Murphy?

Possibly related to the headline story, from April 2018:

Société Générale's Albert Edwards Says "My Reputation For Calling Stocks Is In Tatters"
Well duh. He's been stubbornly fighting the central banks for a decade, a trait he shared with fellow bear David Rosenberg until Rosie flipped a few years ago and caught the last 35% or so of the up move.
But it isn't for the equity calls that Albert gets paid, and they're not why pros still listen to him:
The House Fed has thwarted his House Stark at every turn.
Now he's getting ready to roll but it may be too late for him.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/list_landscape_960x541/2016/06/game_of_thrones_quotes_3_h_2016.jpeg
"I fought. I lost. Now I rest. But you, Lord Snow… you'll be fighting their battles forever."
Albert addressing another standing room only investment conference crowd

Albert's twenty-year bullishness on bonds and what declining yields tell us about the underlying economy is why SocGen keeps him around.....