Monday, August 17, 2009

Earnings Heads-up: Here Come the Chinese Solars (TSL; STP; YGE)

UPDATE: TSL reported a beat.
Original Post:
Although we've had some sporadic reports, this is the week that the Chinese companies start rolling out numbers in a big way. Here are some we follow, along with Vestas and my favorite name.

Aug. 17-Trina Solar (TSL) after the close today. Consensus estimate $0.32

Aug. 18 Vestas Wind Systems (VWS.CO) 2:30 a.m.
Aug. 18 Inner Mongolia Baotou Steel Rare Earth Hi-Tech Co. (600111: Shangai)

Aug. 19 Yingli Green Energy (YGE)

Aug. 20 Suntech Power Holdings (STP)

*See:
With a Name Like Inner Mongolia Baotou Steel Rare-Earth Hi-Tech Co., it has to be good ( 600111:Shanghai)

In December 2007 I wrote:

How the heck did I miss Mongolia Energy Co. Ltd.?...
The question has haunted me to this day.
[you really need to get out more -ed]

MEco was the number two stock in the Bloomberg Worldwide Index that year, up 5911.17%.
I vowed that I "will study and learn, and one day my chance will come."
[ummm, wasn't that Lincoln?]

So when a reader emailed in response to this morning's "China tightens grip on rare earths":
"How do I participate?"
I had the [a -ed] answer.

IMBSREHTco's parent company has world’s largest rare earths deposits.
[the first letters of the acronym are IMBS, tee hee -ed]

Here's BusinessWeek's snapshot (all Prices in Yuan):...