Thursday, October 18, 2012

The North Face vs. The Butt Face (Is this a great country or what?)

I can't wait for the Facebutt IPO.

From Dow Jones via the Denver Post:
According to a survey that was actually conducted by The North Face, about 35 percent of people may associate The North Face with The Butt Face.

I own ski pants and several jackets from The North Face. I like the brand. But this survey makes me want to clean out my closet.

Here I am, paying top dollar for upscale outerwear, strutting around like I am hip to fashion, yet more than a third of the people I pass wearing this stuff may be quietly thinking "Butt Face."

The North Face cited its self-humiliating survey in documents it filed in a U.S. District Court in St. Louis. The survey supports the apparel maker's motion for federal judge to slap a college kid with civil contempt charges for creating a clothing line called "The Butt Face."

The college kid is Jimmy Winkelmann, 21 years old. He is studying biomedical engineering at the University of Missouri. He told me his goal is to graduate from medical school and start his own medical-device company. To do this, he needs money. To get money, he makes fun of The North Face.

This has been going on for a long time. I first wrote about Mr. Winkelmann in April 2010 when he reached an amicable settlement with The North Face. The agreement included his promise to stop selling clothing under the name "The South Butt." As part of the settlement, The North Face actually paid Mr. Winkelmann "a significant amount of money in May 2011," according to recently filed court documents....MORE

Here's The Butt Face's 2010 Answer to the North Face Complaint:

 "I did try to explain with a great deal of candor to counsel for the North Face that the general public is aware of the difference between a face and a butt."
-Butt Face Attorney

The South Butt Answer to the North Face