Friday, August 26, 2011

Bernanke: No to More Cowbell Despite Pleading from Goldman and the Band

At the Jackson Hole Annual  Economic Policy Symposium.
Transcript:
Bruce Dickinson: Alright, guys, I think we're ready to lay this first track down. By the way, my name is Bruce Dickinson. Yes, the Bruce Dickinson. And I gotta tell you: fellas.. you have got what appears to be a dynamite sound!

Eric Bloom: Coming from you, Bruce, that means a lot.

Buck Dharma: Yeah. I mean, you're Bruce Dickinson!

Alan: This is incredible!

Bobby: I can't believe Bruce Dickinson digs our sound!

Bruce Dickinson: Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records. [ the group laughs ] Alright, here we go. "Fear... Don't Fear the Reaper" -- take one. Roll it [ he exits into the control booth ]

Eric Bloom: Alright! One, two, three, four...

[ The group starts the song: "All our times have come…Here but now they're gone..." -- Bobby slaps the drums, Eric jams his guitar, and Gene bangs on a cowbell. ]

Eric Bloom: [ distracted by Gene banging the cowbell ] Okay! Wait! Wait! Stop! [ the group cuts off their instruments ] Um, Bruce, could you come in here for a minute, please?

Bruce Dickinson: [ stepping out of the booth ] That... that was gonna be a great track. Guys, what's the deal?

Eric Bloom: Uh, are you sure that was sounding okay?

Bruce Dickinson: I'll be honest.. fellas, it was sounding great. But.. I could've used a little more cowbell. So.. let's take it again.. and, Gene?

Gene Frenkle: Yeah?

Bruce Dickinson: Really explore the studio space this time.

Gene Frenkle: You got it, Bruce.

Bruce Dickinson: I mean, really.. explore the space. I like what I'm hearing. roll it.

[ the group starts the song again, as Gene bangs more wildly onto the cowbell, gyrating his exposed belly. In the booth, Walken is smiling to keep from laughing. Before the session is interrupted, Gene misses a beat on his cowbell.]

Eric Bloom: Okay, wait! Stop! Stop! Bruce, I'm sorry, could you come back in here, please?

Bruce Dickinson: [ stepping out of the booth ] Fellas.. now, we just wasted two good tracks! This last one was even better than the first!

Eric Bloom: Well, it's just that I find Gene's cowbell playing distracting! I don't know, if I'm the only one, I'll shut up.

Buck Dharma: Nah, it was pretty rough.

Gene Frenkle: You know, I could pull it back a little, if you'd like.

Bruce Dickinson: Not too much, though! I'm telling you, fellas -- you're gonna want that cowbell on the track!

Gene Frenkle: You know what? It's fine. Let's just do the thing.

Bruce Dickinson: Okay, Roll it.

Eric Bloom: One, two, three, four...

[ the band starts the song once more, with Gene banging the cowbell right next to Eric's ear until Eric pushes him, knocking over the microphone and causing Horatio Sanz to fall ]

Eric Bloom: [ stopping the song again, fighting Gene ] COME ON, GENE!!

Gene Frenkle: NO, YOU COME ON!!

Bruce Dickinson: [ running out of the booth again ] Guys, y’ know…that…that…it doesn't work for me. I gotta have more cowbell!
...MORE