Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lieberman-Warner Bill Remains a Disappointment

That's the headline of an email I received from Friends of the Earth.
They are not a member of USCAP.
Friends of the Earth President Brent Blackwelder had the following statement after the introduction of climate legislation by Senators Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and John Warner (R-Va.) today in the U.S. Senate:

"Friends of the Earth thanks Senators Lieberman and Warner for introducing legislation that addresses global warming. Unfortunately, the approach introduced today by Senators Lieberman and Warner falls far short of our responsibility as one of the world's largest global warming emitters. While the bill has improved slightly from the draft that was circulated in August, it does not achieve the reductions that science requires to avoid the catastrophic impacts of global warming....MORE

If you don't follow the link, the release references this 8 page PDF:
Coal Rush A Primer on the Potential Coal Industry Windfalls in the Lieberman-Warner Climate Bill

Worth a read.
I appreciate Mr. Blackwelder's use of the word emitter rather than polluter. People who use polluter make me self-conscious about breathing.
Or not.
Truth be told they make me conscious of crude attempts at propagandizing and framing the conversation. I do it all the time. Crude, that is. Propagandizing, not so much. I've used the word polluters to make a point but it feels creepy.

Years ago I saw the sub-head below, while doing an internet search, on a FoE press release. My first thought was "Is this another business GE is going to be number one or two in?" Call it tunnel vision or career induced myopia.
I had to read the release to learn it was an acronym for Genetically Engineered.
Voting Record on GE Fish Amendment

If you care here's the source.