Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Meanwhile In France, Beaucoup Bucks In Turning Big Rocks Into Little Rocks

Here's a stat for you:

"Crushing and grinding mined rock into small particles to extract valuable 
metals and minerals consumes more than 4% of the world’s electricity."

From Mining.com, December 12: 

BHP invests in Gates and Friedland-backed firm I-Rox

BHP (ASX: BHP) has joined billionaire Robert Friedland’s I-Pulse Inc. and Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a clean-tech venture backed by Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos, to speed up technologies that can help the mining sector save on energy.

I-Pulse and Breakthrough Energy Ventures (BEV)-Europe launched earlier this year a company called I-Rox, a France-based firm focused on demonstrating a pulsed-power technology said to reduce the amount of energy needed to crush rocks.

The value of BHP’s equity investments in I-Pulse and I-Rox wasn’t disclosed, but the world’s largest miner will join I-Pulse and BEV Europe as shareholders of I-Rox, the firms said.

I-Rox uses high-voltage pulses of power to disintegrate rock, an approach that has been trialled in laboratories for years but has yet to be applied in commercial mining operations....

....MUCH MORE

Here's a graphic from a 2021 post on the current process for extracting lithium from the hard-rock mineral spodumene:

See 911 Metallurgist: Processing Spodumene by Froth Flotation for Lithium Extraction

https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Flowsheet-for-Spodumene-Flotation.png

Even when I'm away I'm thinking of you:
"Lithium prices diverge and defy expectations as new EV trends unfold"

....Now, if you will excuse me I will explore the energy intensity of roasting spodumene vs. other extraction methods. (it's pretty energy intensive, to effect the phase transformation from α-spodumene to β-spodumene you have to crank the oven up to 1050°C, then acid wash it, then roast it again at 200°C. Season to taste and wow your guests)