Thursday, October 7, 2021

Meanwhile, in Italy: "Rachele Mussolini wins most votes in Rome city council election"

From The Guardian, October 6:

Far-right Brothers of Italy candidate is granddaughter of fascist dictator Benito Mussolini

The granddaughter of Benito Mussolini won the highest number of votes in elections for Rome’s city council as support for Brothers of Italy, the far-right party to which she belongs, edged up in northern cities held by the left.

Rachele Mussolini secured more than 8,200 votes in the municipal elections on Sunday and Monday, an increase on the 657 received when she entered the council on her first mandate in 2016.

She said her success in Rome is down to hard work and not her surname. “I learned to live with my surname since I was a child,” she told La Repubblica. “At school they used to point at me, but then Rachele emerged and the person prevails over a surname, however burdensome that surname is. I have many friends on the left and I am certain that one of them voted for me.”

Rachele is named after the fascist dictator’s first wife and is the daughter of the late jazz musician, Romano Mussolini.

Before becoming a councillor in 2016, she said she was only asked for interviews because of her family name. “But during my last term they started asking about the initiatives I’ve promoted. I’ve worked hard.”

She said she had formed excellent relationships with colleagues from the centre-left Democratic party within the council: “Politics is one thing, human relationships are another.”....

....MUCH MORE

Um, are any of the Quandt clan thinking of running for office?