Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What Are People Doing With the Raspberry Pi Computer? Wired UK on Sale May 30

Following up on "Build your own supercomputer out of Raspberry Pi boards"  I just want to hammer home the point that a lot of people smarter than I think a $35 computer can have an impact.
Here's the UK print edition's cover:



Here's a post from the Raspberry Pi blog:

Reddit: What do people use their PiS for?
A thread about Raspberry Pi ended up on the front page of Reddit today, and it’s a doozy. There are thousands of people taking part, and some Pi projects mentioned that we’d never even imagined people taking on. Some of them made our little hearts swell with pride. Teaching machines for schools in Ecuador, prosthetic knees in the USA, musical instruments controlled by eye movements for disabled people, solar flare detection, wood engraving, pocket-money analyser – there’s something here for everyone.
You guys are brilliant. With your ideas and our tiny computer, we could get together to rule the universe. Bags I get to wear the hat with the diamonds.
(Update to add: Incidentally, the guy who says his friend disassembled a Pi and built a better one, so we gave him a job? Big fat liar.)
Here are a couple stories on what tinkerers around the world are up to:
cnet
25 fun things to do with a Raspberry Pi

ars technica:
10 Raspberry Pi creations that show how amazing the tiny PC can be

And here's a guy who uses it to circumvent the Great Firewall of China, from the Reddit thread above:
I study in China, so I have to fight against censorship everyday. I set my Raspberry to automatically connect to my VPN server through OpenVPN, and then share the connexion with a wifi dongle, using hostapd software. I use it on daily basis with my iPhone and Android tablet (way better than the included VPN client) but the good thing is that, wherever I go, i just bring my Raspberry, plug it to ethernet and to any usb plug, and after a few minutes, I have my censor-free wifi hotspot :)

edit : Wow, reddit gold, hope it wont get stolen by PRC's Firewall