Friday, December 29, 2023

Chartmeister Tim Knight Laments Buying A Tesla (TSLA)

But mostly in an opportunity-cost sort of way.

From his platform, Slope of Hope, December 27:

The Self-Driving Experience

I first wrote about Tesla – – – a car very few people had heard of at the time – in March of 2013 here on Slope. The post was simply an examination of my experience of buying my Tesla Model S and my impressions of it (which were extremely positive). I’ll just mention that the $90,000 I put into the car would be worth $9,000,000 today if I had simply bought TSLA at the time instead, but, umm, let’s not go there. Suffice it to say that my gushing, glowing over-the-top review of Tesla was spot-on, and that the company has been insanely successful.

Thus, being such an early adopter, it’s rather odd that only now would I be getting into the whole full self-driving thing, but I have an excuse. My car was incapable of it. The hardware was too old.

That all changed Christmas Eve. We picked up our second Tesla (and ditched our Lexus), a brand new dual motor Model Y with the Full Self Driving feature. Unlike my super-long review mentioned above, I just wanted to say a few words about my impressions of FSD, since I’ve logged, gosh, about 15 miles of it under my belt so far.

In a nutshell, it feels kind of janky. You can definitely sense the decision-making going on, and it is “chunked” in such a way that a human doesn’t really drive. I have had to intervene a number of times, because I didn’t feel safe, even though it probably would have been fine. But I’m not into “probably” when it comes to being in a moving car.

A few oddities I’ve encountered so far in my very, very brief experience:....
****
....I will hasten to make an important distinction. The public FSD is version number 11. The one whose foundation my beloved boy created is 12, and it’s fundamentally and utterly different. I haven’t driven it, nor can I, but when it comes out, I look forward to feeling just how different it is and writing my reflections on it when that time comes.....

....MORE, including the oddities.

Here are a couple of his recent communiqués:
December 28
Arms Race

Up, up, and away! Arm Holdings is growing to the sky! Why not, eh? It’s not like they have ever made a penny of profit or anything.

And:

Bond Rally Over