Friday, August 18, 2023

"....The Invention And Evolution Of Apparel In The World's Colder Climates."

Continuing our pivot to fashion with the hope of garnering a Dolce & Gabbana sponsorship.

From Sapiens:

My Search for the Origins of Clothing

https://www.sapiens.org/app/uploads/2023/04/01_Fur-clothing-1536x1023.jpg

Participating in an archaeology experiment, a contemporary woman dons fur 
clothing similar to what Paleolithic people in colder climates might have worn.

seeking paleolithic clothing origins

Not long ago, I left my home in sunny Australia to join an archaeological dig in the Siberian mountains of eastern Russia. On the first morning, I awoke cold to my core, even in a well-padded sleeping bag. I crept near the campfire and held my hands so close that the gloves began to smolder. But I kept shivering. I was cold on the inside.

As a medical doctor, I recognized the symptoms of mild hypothermia.

Siberia is a region where people surely always needed warm apparel. The origins of clothing is my special interest, a notoriously difficult topic because items of dress rarely last long. Trained in medicine and archaeology, I investigate the matter by combining what’s known about the thermal limits of human bodies and paleoenvironments. My brush with hypothermia, though embarrassing for someone with my expertise, reaffirmed my approach.

Standards of body cover vary across cultures. But many people would be mortified to be caught unclad in public. For folks in cold climates, insufficient clothing can be fatal, as I sensed in Siberia. Yet no other creatures don garments. Why our ancestors, alone in the entire animal kingdom, adopted clothes is one of those big questions that science has only recently begun to tackle.

Though many gaps in the story remain, the emerging evidence suggests clothing really had two origins: first for biological needs, then cultural.

THE INVISIBLE remnants of early clothes

Archaeologists who study the Paleolithic or Stone Age tend to ignore clothing. Perhaps this isn’t surprising, considering not a single shred has survived from this ice age era between roughly 2.6 million and 12,000 years ago. Archaeologists are reluctant to look for something they will never find.

Stone Age clothing may be invisible to archaeology, but that does not mean Paleolithic clothing origins cannot be investigated scientifically. For instance, fossils show humans inhabited ice age Eurasia when the frigid windchill reduced safe exposure times to an hour or two....

....MUCH MORE

This seems relevant, October 16, 2019:
The New Masculinity: Huh, I Suppose It's Time To Update My Wardrobe
Some time ago (Sept. 23, 2017, 5:01 PM PDT) I mentioned that because of threatened budget cuts we would have to either combine our politics, sports, national security and fashion coverage or forsake them entirely. This led to some choices that may have puzzled long suffering readers (see below) and led to results that were not entirely satisfactory for anyone.

Well today, for said long-suffering readers I am skipping a meeting in an attempt to bypass the censors and reverting to straight fashion, to bring this to your attention:

Times change and we must change with them.

If interested, and who wouldn't be, MUCH MORE