Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Russia Has Certainly Taken Advantage Of The Armenian - Azeri Conflict

 The map is via a Turkish gent who doesn't seem to care for the Russians.

All of which reminds me it's been a while since we've seen one of my favorite examples of Russian - Turkish diplomacy. Whenever I think about Turkish-Russian relations I think of this painting:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Ilja_Jefimowitsch_Repin_-_Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks_-_Yorck.jpg

That's "Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks" by Repin, hanging in the State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg.

As the story goes, in 1676 the Turkish Sultan, despite being beaten by the Cossacks when he tried to invade what is now southern Ukraine, demanded these guys surrender and submit to Turkish rule.

As can be seen, the Cossacks thought this was the funniest thing they had ever heard and wrote a letter in response.
A very profane, very defiant, very vulgar, very contemptuous letter.

These old boys just cracked themselves up with their letter.
And that's what I think of when I think of Russians and Turks.