Saturday, October 18, 2014

UPDATED--Cliff Asness vs. Paul Krugman: Let's Get Ready To Rumble

Update after the jump.


Y'all ready for this?
From Real Clear Markets:

The Inflation Imputation
In 2010, I co-signed an open letter warning that the Fed's experiment with an unprecedented level of loose monetary policy - in amount, and in unorthodox method - created a risk of serious inflation. Sporadically journalists and others have noted that this risk has not come to pass, particularly in consumer prices.

Recently there has been an article surveying each of us as to why; seeming to relish in, when provided, our various rationales, presumably as they sounded like excuses. It seems none of the responses provided what the authors clearly wanted, a blanket admission of error. I did not comment for that article, continuing my life long attempt not to help reporters who've already made up their mind to make fun of me -- I help them enough through my everyday actions, they don't need more!

More articles of similar bent keep showing up. The authors seem to find it amusing that four years of CPI data wouldn't get people to change their economic views, while ignoring that 80 years of overwhelming evidence has not dissuaded Keynesians from the belief that this time, if they could only run everything, not just most things, they'd really get it right.

Focusing my attention, as was predestined, Paul Krugman lived up to his lifelong motto of "stay classy" with a piece on the subject entitled Knaves, Fools, and Quantitative Easing. Some lesser lights of the Keynesian firmament have also jumped in (collectivists, of course, excel at sharing a meme). Responding to Krugman is as productive as smacking a skunk with a tennis racket. But, sometimes, like many unpleasant tasks, it's necessary. I will, at least partially, make that error here, while mostly trying to deal with the original issue separate from Paul's screeds (though one wonders if CPI inflation had risen in the last four years if Paul would be admitting his entire economic framework was wrong - ok, one doesn't really wonder - and those things never happen to Paul anyway, just ask him).

Let me say up front that this essay will satisfy nobody. Those looking for a blanket admission of error will get part of what they want; a small part. Those hoping I hold the line denying any misstep will also be disappointed. I believe truth, as is often the case in similar situations, lies in the middle of these and I prefer truth, as I see it, to any reader walking away sated.

We indeed warned about the risks of inflation in 2010 and the CPI has been, to put it mildly, benign since then. First, to give the baying crowd just a bit of what it wants (I will take some of it back soon), our bad (I say "our" but obviously I speak only for myself). When you warn of a risk and it doesn't come to pass I do think you owe the world this admission, even if you later explain what it means to warn of a risk not a certainty, and offer good reasons why despite reasonable worry this particular risk didn't come to pass. I, and many other signatories, live in the world of economic or political prognostication, in my case money management, where if you get a bit more than half your calls right you are doing quite well, more than a bit more than half, you're doing fabulously. I'll put our collective record up against Krugman's (and the Krug-Tone back-up dancers) any day of the week and twice on days he publishes.

Let's start with the big one. We did not make a prediction, something we certainly know how to do and have collectively done many times. We warned of a risk. That's a very specific choice people like the open letter writers, and Paul, have to make all the time, and he knows this, but that doesn't deter him. Rather, Paul engages in the old debating trick of mentioning this argument himself and dismissing it. This technique worked for Eminem at the end of Eight Mile. But let's not be fooled by chicanery (silly Paul, you are no Rabbit). If I had wanted to make a prediction, I would have made one. I didn't, nor did my fellow signatories....MORE
Update: 
Let's Get Ready To Rumble II: Paul Krugman Responds to Cliff Asness