Sunday, June 8, 2014

Where in the World is Izzy Kaminska?

It turns out she's been at her personal blog, Dizzynomics:

People who can draw vs those who can’t
For reasons unimportant I got to spend a lot of this week drawing, which was great because I love drawing.
Drawing also comes relatively easily to me.

What has always fascinated me however is why it doesn’t come so easily to everyone. Especially, it seems, to the more mathematically and scientifically geared mind. (I’m sure there are exceptions, Da Vinci being an obvious name, but this is what I have generally noticed.)
I was wondering consequently why this may be.

What is it that artistic brains can do that non artistic brains can’t? (And vice versa)
Is it something to do with being able to visualize and understand relativity in 3D space?
A good “drawer” can turn 3d space into 2d space thanks to their appreciation of the relative placement of all the separate points they are looking at.

He also knows which points need replicating for process and recognition purposes and which don’t. That is, which can be left out, because they are mainly irrelevant noise and which are essential for retaining structure and composition....MORE
Regarding the knowing what to leave out, Michelangelo is reputed to have explained it as "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."  which is a variation of his more famous “Carving is easy, you just go down to the skin and stop.”