Monday, April 16, 2012

3-D Printing: Stratasys Pops on Merger With Objet (SSYS)

 Over the years I've had the odd ability to pick names that will be involved in M&A but end up owning the acquirer, partly, I've surmised, because of a predilection for balance sheets that, well, balance.

Not a problem in this case, I've refined the technique to picking the acquirer, not owning it and having it uptick.
 Objet is private and SSYS is up 20% without my owning it.

From Forbes'
Stratasys To Merge With Objet; Creates Big Player In 3D Printing
Stratasys shares are trading sharply higher Monday after the maker of 3D printers announced a deal to acquire rival Objet Ltd. in an all-stock deal. Stratasys holders will own 55% of the combined company, with Object holders owning the other 45%.

The combined company will keep the Stratasys name, with dual headquarters in Eden Prairie, Minnesota and Rehvot, Israel.

Stratasys CEO Scott Crump will be chairman of the combined company. Objet CEO David Reis will be CEO after the deal.

The company said the deal should be accretive to cash earnings per share within 12 months of closing Stratasys expects $7 million to $8 million of annual net cost synergies....MORE
UPDATED--3D Printing: The shape of things to come (SSYS; DDD)
Still on the come but the possibilities have serious people thinking.
SSYS is the symbol for Stratasys, one of the early stand-alone machine makers, which was first pitched to me back in the '90's for a couple bucks. It closed at $31.08 yesterday.
I never did do anything with it.... 
"3D Printing: How 'Desktop Factories' Will Create the Next $1 Trillion Industry" (DDD; SSYS)
"Layer by Layer" (More on 3-D Printing)
"Layer by Layer" (More on 3-D Printing)