Saturday, May 17, 2008

Ma Climateer Just Bought Some Chicken, Cheap (And That's NOT A Good Thing)

Nope, not a good thing at all.
As we said a couple weeks ago:
"Look for MUCH Higher Meat Prices (after they drop)".

She was tickled that the deli chicken was 1/3 off, all I could think was, "The slaughter has begun".
First they came for the chickens and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a chicken.
Then they came for the pigs and I didn't speak up because...*
Anywho, remember the hog cycle** and plan your menu accordingly. I haven't thought through a chicken play although it was just suggested I do the chicken dance.***

*Apologies to Pastor Niemöller:

Niemöller said he was not quite sure when he had said the famous words but, if people insist upon citing them, he preferred this version:
"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;...
Via Wikipedia

**The first link above has the shorthand version of the cycle:

The hog price series is one of the longest we have records for, back to the 1200's.
The cycle is:
slaughter begets scarcity begets higher prices begets breeding begets over-supply begets slaughter. It's been going on for a while.

On Thursday PBS' Newshour had a segment that included this quote:

...What I see happening in this state is many producers that have a certain age, that are at the point, they say, you know, why struggle with this anymore? So they just quit.

Other people I think are struggling to find a banker that will stick with them until we see the increase in price of pork relative to the input cost. So it's a very sensitive time in the pork industry....

From the transcript of "Corn Farmers Prosper, Others Lose Out with Ethanol Use"

***Here's Myron Florin on the Lawrence Welk Show. It was described as "An unsettling performance..."
Here's a Techno version, sweet moves.