Saturday, August 18, 2018

"Supermarket Sadism: How to Navigate the Deadly Food Jungle"

This may be a bit over-the-top but not inaccurate.

From The Daily Bell via ZeroHedge:
Let’s imagine the dangers of the ancient jungles and forests our ancestors once hunted and gathered in. Navigating deadly animals, poisonous plants and treacherous landscapes is risky business, no doubt!

Today, I think of the modern Supermarket as insidious as the deepest, darkest jungle. As I enter, the swing gates shut behind me. There is no turning back.

Immediately I see the fresh produce promising a natural food fix. Don’t be fooled, this only masks the lies that lurk within. Bagging up some irradiated apples I’m thrown into what appears to be an orgy of choice, isles upon isles. First I notice the packaging- Pavlov’s stimuli – so many brands, so much brilliant color all competing for my eyes, my gut, my wallet. This is the first real test, running the psychological gauntlet called the grocery aisle. What will I choose?

Expensive items sit at eye level. Cheap brands down below, forcing prostration. Cartoon characters in the cereal isle make eye contact with the children, luring them like strangers promising candy.

Finding the bakery I pick up a loaf and inspect the ingredients. All kinds of shit I don’t recognize. But this is supposed to be bread. What the hell is E927? Its azodicarbonamide – shoe rubber. Oh.

Operation Clean Label
Food Cartels like Nestle are renaming the ingredients list to hide the truth from the 21st-century informed consumer. Instead of E320 Butylhydroxyanisole (promotes tumors), E910 L-cysteine (human & animal hair), E407 Carrageenan (cancer-causing), you’ll see Rosemary “Extract”, Yeast “Extract” and “Functional” Flour, respectively. Classic bait and switch – don’t be fooled.

As I exit the grocery isle labyrinth, my cart stocked with pristinely packaged slow-kill poison I reach the check-out isles. This is where the Supermarket hyper-targets the children. An infinite variety of sugary shit sucks the attention from them like a vampire sucks blood.

With the children suddenly crippled with sugary lust, the magazine rack full of Tabloids distract the adults. The promise of cheap, low-class thrills gives way to insecurity and self loathing. Seeking comfort, I find a temporary high in that perfectly placed estrogen mimicking, liver scarring Snickers candy bar. I deserve it....
...MUCH MORE