Thursday, October 20, 2016

Picasso Pics For Sale, Cheap (chateau included)

From Messy Nessy Chic:

Picasso Drew all Over the Walls of this French Chateau For Sale
I grew up part-time near a town called Uzès in the South of France and on our way into town, we would always pass a mysterious property by the roadside. I remember my mother telling us it used to belong to a famous art collector, and she would even let us stop and sneak up to the gate on occasion to get a closer look, squeezing our little faces in between the iron bars. It’s been over twenty years since I’ve seen the house, until today, when I happened to be day-dreaming on the Sotheby’s real estate site, and found these photographs of a property that gave me such a feeling of déjà vu. It was the same house! And all these years later, it’s secrets are finally revealed to me…
uzes1
Indeed, this was the house of a famous collector, Douglas Cooper, who bought the Château de Castille (also known as Chateau d’Argilliers) in 1950. As one of the world’s most important private collectors of Cubist art, Cooper counted a certain Mr. Pablo Picasso as one of his close friends, who frequently visited the 13th century château. Picasso liked the house so much, he even tried to buy it from Cooper. And when that wasn’t possible, he convinced Cooper to give him “one of his walls”. If I had known back when I was a kid that there were five giant Picasso frescoes hiding behind the walls of that house, I sure hope I would have had the sense to squeeze my way through the gate somehow and go take a look at them myself…
bn-ll877_1204de_j_20151127121447

...MUCH MORE

Previously: 

The Man Who Sold The Eiffel Tower, Twice and A (bath) Room With A View
We've visited Messy Nessy a few times, most recently on Van Gogh's bedroom and then on the high-end German call-girl antecedents of the Barbie Doll.

This time she's just straight up showing off.
From Messy Nessy Chic...