Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What If Van Gogh Had Been a Dentist?

I don't know who sent me this, I do know Van Gogh had problems with his teeth.
Here is one of the actual letters:
Letter from Vincent van Gogh to Theo van Gogh
(15-17 February 1886)
... shall have to stay here longer again. I should also like so very much to finish having my teeth fixed. What must I do? I have a total of one franc fifty centimes left, and as to my food, I paid 5 francs in advance until the end of the month. In so many ways it would be such a good thing to change soon. You understand that no money is left to take painting materials from here to Brabant, so I shall be doubly in a fix there, both as to models and colours. So there is no choice; besides, what need is there to choose? For what is most pressing must come first, and that is the period of drawing from the nude and the works of antiquity. Perhaps I write you somewhat abruptly, but things must not be put off. For the rest, it is only natural that there cannot be any objection to finding a garret in Paris at once, on the very first day of my arrival, and then I can go and draw at the Louvre or the Ecole des Beaux-Arts so that I shall be quite prepared for...
And from Woody Allen's Without Feathers via La Reine de Rien:

Dear Theo
I took some dental X-rays this week that I thought were good. Degas saw them and was critical. He said the composition was bad. All the cavities were bunched in the lower left corner. I explained to him that that's how Mrs Stotkin's mouth looks, but he wouldn't listen. He said he hated the frames and mahogany was too heavy. When he left, I tore them to shreds! As if that was not enough, I attempted some root-canal work on Mrs Wilma Zardis, but half-way through I became despondent. I realised suddenly that root-canal work is not what I want to do! I grew flushed and dizzy. I ran from the office into the air where I could breathe! I blacked out for several days and woke up at the seashore. When I returned, she was still in the chair. I completed her mouth out of obligation but I couldn't bring myself to sign it.
Vincent
Dear Theo
Once again I am in need of funds. I know what a burden I must be to you, but who can I turn to? I need money for materials! I am working almost exclusively with dental floss now, improvising as I go along, and the results are exciting. God! I have not even a penny left for Novocaine! Today I pulled a tooth and had to anesthetize the patient by reading him some Dreiser. Help.
Vincent 
Dear Theo
Toulouse-Lautrec is the saddest man in the world. He longs more than anything to be a great dentist, and he has real talent, but he's too short to reach his patients' mouths and too proud to stand on anything. Arms over his head, he gropes around their lips blindly, and yesterday, instead of putting caps on Mrs Fitelson's teeth, he capped her chin. Meanwhile, my old friend Monet refuses to work on anything but very, very large mouths and Seurat, who is quite moody, has developed a method of cleaning one tooth at a time until he builds up what he calls 'a full, fresh mouth'. It has an architectural solidity to it, but is it dental work?
Vincent 
...MANY MORE

The Van Gogh letters contain 372 references to money, usually in regard to Vincent's lack thereof.
Four of Van Gogh's paintings have sold for an inflation-adjusted $100 million or more.