Monday, September 2, 2013

"A Simple Guide For Locating Your Economic Spirit Animal…"

From Economists Do It With Models:
As someone who not only wants to learn as much as possible about academic research in economics but also understand where the prominent thought leaders in the field stand, I’ve been fascinated for a while now with the University of Chicago’s Initiative on Global Markets Economics Experts Panel. (If you’ve been playing along at home, you may notice that I brought this resource to your attention a while ago.) This dataset is cool because it asks a bunch of hotshot economists a number of policy-related questions and then collects their answers in agree/disagree form as well as a rating of their confidence in their answers and comments on the issue at hand.
It’s not particularly surprising to me that the economists surveyed have a clear consensus on some issues but are more divided on others. Also, as I look through the responses, I usually take stock of which economists answered in the way that I would have answered. (Narcissistic, but true.) As such, I was super excited to learn that there is now a home version of the game that allows you to answer the questions posed to the expert panel and keeps track of which economist you are most similar to overall. Why didn’t I think of this????
...MORE