Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Mathbabe on Fake Geek Girls (and how to be a sexy man nerd)

From Mathbabe:

The fake problem of fake geek girls, and how to be a sexy man nerd
My friend Rachel Schutt recently sent me this Forbes article by Tara Tiger Brown on the so-called problem of too many fake geek girls stealing the thunder and limelight from us true geek girls.

The working definition of geek seems to be someone who is obsessively interested in something (I would argue that you don’t get to be a geek if your obsession is art, for example, I’d like to define it to be an obsession with something technical). She also claims that “true geeks” don’t do something for airtime. From the article:

Girls who genuinely like their hobby or interest and document what they are doing to help others, not garner attention, are true geeks. The ones who think about how to get attention and then work on a project in order to maximize their klout, are exhibitionists.

I kind of like this but I kind of don’t too. I like this because, like you, I have run into many many people (men and women) who loudly claim technical knowledge that they don’t seem to actually have, which is annoying and exhibitionistic. And yes, it’s annoying to see people like that doing things like giving things like Ted talks on “big data” when you seriously doubt they know how to program a linear regression. But again, men and women.

At the same time, there’s no reason someone can’t be both a true geek and an exhibitionist...MORE
But of course.