Thursday, May 10, 2012

Daimler Offering $100,000 Cash Back on Maybachs

From Barron's Penta blog:
There were a couple of parties I went to in the go-go days of the Tech bubble, where at the end of evening we guests stood at curbside as a continuous line of Daimler-made Maybachs whisked us back to our hotel. I think that was the closest I ever got to knowing what it was like to be Greta Garbo, sinking back into the plush leather, the wood-work, the crystal jars filled with Scotch, the tinted windows protecting me from the unwashed masses.

Maybach Type 62 Sedan
So it is, with a little sadness, I learn the Maybach is coming to the end of its run. But that apparently is good news to anyone who has ever coveted the car seemingly fit for only Mr. Burns in the Simpsons. According to Automotive News, “the not quite dead” luxury brand placed an unprecedented $100,000 on the hood last week, trying to clear out the last of its highly priced and little desired inventory.” Torque News earlier reported the rebate is offered on “Type 57 and Type 62 sedans, which retail for $376,300-$416,200 and 427,700 – $467,600 respectively.”

I think that qualifies for Penta’s Deal of the Month.