Friday, October 19, 2007

The Pleasure of VICE

Back in April we noted the Kacperczyk/Hong paper, "The Price of Sin: The Effects of Social Norms on Markets" in "Moral Judgment On 'Sin Stocks' Means Higher Returns For Vice-Friendly Investors.

I was just talking to a gentleman who purchased the VICEX fund after reading the post, which reminded me I should do a six month check-up on these things.
24.34 +0.03 (0.12%) NAV as of Oct 18, 2007
YTD Return: 22.31%
Net Assets: 156.48M
Front Load: None

Yield (ttm): 0.26%
Expense Ratio: 1.75%
Morningstar Rating: Rated 5.0 out of 5.0
Mutual fund data delayed - Disclaimer


The post also mentions the storming of Peabody Energy (largest coal miner) headquarters. I was surprised by how well the stock has held up. My first thought looking at the chart was "Is this an LBO candidate?" or maybe a subsidiary of China Inc. someday. Time will tell.


Peabody Energy Corp. (BTU)