Sunday, October 24, 2021

How Did I Miss This? "Iraqi protester 'unleashes' lion to scare off police dogs"

It's from 2019 but still, if someone had told me I think I'd remember.

I'm not sure how to say "check and mate" in Iraqi Arabic. Or Farsi or Kurdish for that matter.

From Beijing's China Global Television Network, November 18, 2019:

A young Iraqi man "unleashed" a lion to scare away police dogs meant to contain protesters who are taking part in the biggest wave of nationwide anti-government demonstrations in nearly two decades.

Amid reports that Iraqi security forces would be using dogs to curb down the weeks-long demonstrations, the unnamed young protester adopted a rather unique countermeasure by bringing his pet lion to reportedly take on the canine unit of the forces.

Photos and video showing the man walking the fearsome beast, draped in Iraqi national flag, on the streets of his hometown in Iraq's Babel Province, south of Baghdad, went viral on social media....

....MORE, including pics, video. 

I have to say, they lion looks good wearing the flag, much more dignified than a German Shepherd sporting a bandana.