Thursday, June 17, 2010

Was BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg Abducted by Aliens? (BP)

Compare and contrast.
From the Wall Street Journal Europe's The Source blog:
American political rhetoric has a long tradition of folksiness. If you want to get far in public office in the U.S., being able to wax lyrical about the strength and wisdom of real American families is a must.
Politicians have varied success in this. Professorial Barack Obama has struggled to connect with regular people. For populist Sarah Palin, veneration of “real Americans” is a substitute for policy.
But in the White House Rose Garden on Wednesday afternoon, BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg set a new low in this form of political rhetoric. [See YouTube clip of the event here.]
“We care about the small people. I hear comments sometimes that large oil companies, or greedy companies, don’t care. But that is not case in BP, we care about the small people,” ...
From "Frasier" season 2 episode 7 "The Candidate".
Frasier decides to film an endorsement formayoral candidate Phil Patterson:
FADE TO:
CITIZEN CRANE
Scene Four - Frasier's apartment. Frasier is in the process of rehearsing a political commercial in his apartment. It's filled with lights and sound equipment and various crew. Niles is among them. Frasier is seated in the chair near the balcony door. He is at first facing the balcony, but he then turns to face the camera. Frasier: Oh, hello there. I'm Dr. Frasier Crane. Many of you know me from my radio show, but today I'm speaking to you as a concerned citizen. [stands] As a mental health expert, I've been listening to what my good friend Phil Patterson has to say. I like the way his mind works. He's a visionary, and he cares about the little people. That's why I'm proud to say that I'm behind Phil Patterson for Congress. Phil Patterson comes up to him and shakes his hand. Phil: Thanks, Frasier. [facing camera] Together, we can live the dream. Frasier: Phil Patterson: the sane choice. The crew cuts.
----------------- 
Frasier: Say, Phil, it's getting a little hot in here.  You want to 
         step out on to the balcony with me, get a little fresh air?
   Phil: Great. [as they walk out] Oh, beautiful view.
Frasier: Thank you.  Yes, you know, I feel very lucky living here.  
         I'd like to say I feel lucky to be a part of your campaign 
         as well.
   Phil: Oh, it's me who's lucky.  It's quite a boost for an underdog 
         to get an endorsement from Frasier Crane.
Frasier: Oh, I don't know if my name carries that much weight.
   Phil: Oh, come on, people love you.  I've listened to your show. 
         To tell the truth, I've even thought of calling in. 
Frasier: Really?  What for?
   Phil: Oh, it's... kind of sensitive.
Frasier: Listen, Phil, as a psychiatrist, anything you tell me will 
         be kept in the strictest confidence. 

Phil still hesitates.  They both stare out at the view, not looking 
at each other.

Frasier: You know, it's funny how the more you bottle things up 
         inside, the bigger they seem to be. 
   Phil: Well, I've never told anybody this before, but... okay, here 
         goes.  Six years ago... I was abducted by aliens. 

Frasier, shocked, slowly turns his head to face Phil. 
He is completely stunned.

Frasier: Aliens?
   Phil: They transported me up to their spaceship for a kind of 
         conference.  They're very concerned about what we're doing to 
         our planet. [Frasier stares at Phil] Hey, you were right. 
         Now that I've said it out loud, it doesn't seem like that 
         big a deal.
Frasier: [far away] No...

Phil gives Frasier a pat on the back as Niles walks up to the door.

  Niles: They're ready for you, gentlemen.  Come on in here and let's 
         elect a Congressman!

Phil exits to the living room, but Frasier is frozen.

  Niles: Frasier? [He gestures for Frasier to come in, but he doesn't 
         move] Frasier?

END OF ACT ONE


ACT TWO

LET'S JUST KEEP THIS UNDER OUR SPACE HELMETS
Scene One - Frasier's apartment. It is a few moments after Phil's revelation. Frasier is now filming the political commercial. He looks mortified. Director: We're rolling. And... action. Frasier: [in his chair] Hello, I'm Dr. Frasier Crane. Many of you know me from my radio show but today I'm speaking to you as a concerned citizen... a deeply concerned citizen. Niles looks confused. Frasier: As a mental health expert, I've been listening to what my good friend Phil Patterson has to say. [stands] I like the way his mind works. He's a visionary, and he cares about... [whimpering] ...the little people. -----------------
Thanks to KACL 780 for the script.
For comparison here's the episode. You decide.