Friday, February 22, 2008

Never Mind and "The Carbon Traders"

I posted a comment at the WSJ's Environmental Capital blog in response to their post:
"Green Eyeshades vs. Starry Eyes: The Cap or Tax Debate".

The green eyeshades AND the starry eyes are both something I know something about:
This is turning into another
“little green” vs. “GOLIATH GREEN”
(I get a kick out of commenters who
“LOCK CAPS>>FIRE”).

Here’s a left of center site that points up the NRDC’s role in the Enron inspired Cali. electricity dereg.
http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/2003Q3/enviros.html

Here’s a little green linkfest:
http://itsgettinghotinhere.org/2008/02/19/
environmental-justice-community-says-no-to-carbon-trading/
Comment by Climateer - February 22, 2008 at 11:54 am

Forty minutes later I stopped back and my golden, Shakespearian prose was gone!
An outrage against art! Corporate censorship!
(do you get annoyed with the morons who cry censorship when their letter to the editor isn't published? Good grief, start your own damn paper! Or get a blog. Or go bore your friends. Or read up on what real censorship is. Jeez)

Excuse me, I just catharted.

Anywho, thoroughly enraged by this affront I fired back:

What on earth?
Did the EC just delete my earlier comment on Big Green vs. little green?
Goodness.
Comment by Climateer - February 22, 2008 at 1:06 pm
Well the first comment is back, sorry I blew up like that.
I may have suffered a mini-stroke.
Never mind.

Among the links in that first comment is this gem:

Who is actually attending the Bali climate conference
So, who do you think is the biggest non-governmental organisation (NGO) in Bali? Which NGO do you think has registered the most delegates to attend the climate conference? Is it Greenpeace? Is it the World Wide Fund for Nature? Could it be Friends of the Earth? Or maybe big business lobbyists the International Chamber of Commerce?

A couple of days ago I went through the official delegates list and did the complex mathematics (i.e. counting) to work this out. And to my surprise it’s a big fat nope to all of these guys.

It turns out the biggest NGO delegation in Bali is the lobbying group, the International Emissions Trading Association (IETA). With 336 representatives including lawyers, financiers, emissions traders, consultants, certifiers and emissions trading experts from companies like Shell, the IETA makes up 7.5% of the 4483 Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) delegates registered to attend the UN climate talks....MORE