Saturday, August 25, 2007

Green Rupert: News Corporation's Energy Initiative

Remarks by Rupert Murdoch
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer,
News Corporation

Good morning. Thank you for joining us here today. This morning is the first time we have ever done a global event for all News Corp. employees, many of whom are joining us live by webcast. So I should say good morning, but to those of you who are watching: good afternoon, and good evening...

I'm here to tell you about a new initiative we're undertaking at News, one that will affect us all.

As many of you know, I grew up in Melbourne, Australia and the last few months and years have brought some changes there:

In Melbourne, 2006 was the 10th consecutive year with below average rainfall. And 2005 was the hottest year on record throughout Australia.

Australia is suffering its worst drought in 100 years.

Now, I realize we can't take just one year in one city or even one continent as proof that something unusual is happening. And I am no scientist.

But there are signs around the world, and I do know how to assess a risk....MORE from News Corp.

As we've pointed out, Mr. Murdoch is no Greenie come lately.